Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /data/xankendi/public_html/class/DB.class.php on line 20

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /data/xankendi/public_html/class/DB.class.php:20) in /data/xankendi/public_html/class/session.class.php on line 12

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /data/xankendi/public_html/class/DB.class.php:20) in /data/xankendi/public_html/class/session.class.php on line 12
Khankendi ::: General information ::: Area :::
azen
  • The streets of Khankendi
  • The view of Khankendi from Shusha
  • A nature view of native Garabagh
  • The monument to World War II
  • Baku-Khankendi-Shusha road

Area

It is located on the banks of the river Gargar, at the eastern foot of the Garabagh ridge, at 329 km distance from Baku. From the administrative viewpoint, the area of Khankendi town includes the town Khankendi and Karkijahan settlement. It was the center of Upper (Nagorno) Garabagh Autonomous Region. Have an area of 8.8 square kilometers. Armenian armed forces occupied Khankendi town.
Kalbajar, Tartar, Aghdara and Aghdam surround Khankendi town in the north, Shusha in the south, Khojavend in the east, Lachin in the west, in the center the regions of Khojaly and Askaran.
Khankendi is a considerably younger town compared with most other Azerbaijan cities. According to archive documents, the town was built at late XVIII century as a settlement for the rest of Garabagh khans. The dwelling was built at 10 km distance from the capital of the khanate Panahabad (now Shusha), rather at the mountain foot for the creation of maximum conditions for khans’. As the first years, only the Khan family and the relatives lived in this new settlement among the people was known as “the village of Khan”, but soon got the name of Khankendi. The town had greatly developed at the time of Garabagh khanate. However, the main reasons for it were these: the town was close to the center and the capital, the trade routes passed from here, was the headquarters of Khans, located in a favorable position and had a rich nature.
Despite the fact that built as a rest center for Garabagh khans, in the XX century Khankendi began to develop as a new industrial and cultural center. In this, a great support was always given from the general republic resources. For this reason, it gathers speed in all fields of development than other cities of Azerbaijan. This evidently began to show itself in growing town´s increase of population. For growing population were built not only apartments and created social and communal infrastructure, at the same time were built modern establishments that would be working place for them.
Establishments built in Khankendi were producing more than half of the province industrial output. Known in all South Caucasus silk works, footwear, carpet and textile factories, dairy plant and wine mill were operating in Khankendi. Products of electrotechnical plant, furniture factory, construction materials factory occupied a worthy place in the internal market of Azerbaijan.
Note: By decree of Soviets of Azerbaijan Central Executive Committee dated 07.07.1923 when was created Upper Garabagh Autonomous Region the center of the region was the town of Khankendi. However, according to the resolution of Party Committee of Garabagh Region dated 18.09.1923 the town renamed into Stepanakert town.
Under the Protocol of the sitting of the Presidium of Azerbaijan SSR Supreme Soviet dated 01.02.1939 Stepanakert town from the category of the cities subordinated to district was included into the category of cities subordinated to Autonomous Region. Under the decree N837-IX of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan SSR dated 15.05.1978, the center of Stepanakert district was transferred to workers’ settlement – Askaran and Stepanakert district renamed into Askaran district.
By the decree, 1783-XI of the Presidium of Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan SSR dated 21.04.1990, Karkijahan residential area of Stepanakert town was included into the category of the urban-type settlements and attached to the Soviet of Stepanakert town was established the Soviet of Karkijahan settlement.
Under the law of Azerbaijan Republic dated November 26, 1991, No. 279-XII “On abolishing of Upper Garabagh Autonomous Region of the Azerbaijan Republic”, historical names of the towns Stepanakert, Mardakert, Martuni were renamed. Stepanakert renamed into Khankendi town, Mardakert to Agdara district and Martuni to Khojavend district. Askaran and Hadrut districts were abolished. Was established Khojaly district with center town Khojaly; the area of abolished Askaran district was included into the territory of Khojaly district, and the area of the Hadrut district into the territory of Khojavand district. Towns of Khankendi and Shusha were included into republic-subordinated cities, Aghdara, Khojavend Khojaly and Shusha districts were included into republic- subordinated districts.